Covid-19. Naturligt eller labb?

Diskutera fysik, kemi, biologi, samt direkta tillämpningar såsom teknik och medicin.
dann
Re: Covid-19. Naturligt eller labb?

Post by dann » Mon 01 Aug 2022, 06:31

Nemesis wrote:
Wed 27 Jul 2022, 13:27
Dagens Science-Based Medicine:
New Studies on the Origin of COVID-19
New evidence strongly supports the conclusion that SARS-CoV-2 emerged from the wet markets of Wuhan, killing the lab-leak hypothesis.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/new-studies-on-the-origin-of-covid-19/
Danish article based on the same studies:
Coronavirussen kan nu spores til et specifikt afløb på marked i Wuhan (Videnskab.dk, July 28, 2022)
To kunder på et gigantisk og nedslidt kødmarked i den kinesiske millionby Wuhan var så uheldige, at de i slutningen af 2019 som de allerførste mennesker blev smittet med den coronavirus, der lynhurtigt spredte sig globalt som en steppebrand.
I et afløb ved en bod, der solgte pelse blandt andet fra mårhunde, har forskere fundet to virusstammer, der svarer til dem, de allerførste coronasmittede var inficeret med.
Fra boden på markedet, hvor vilde dyr blev slagtet og handlet, spredte virus sig til boligblokke i nabolaget og senere til andre dele af Wuhan. Det viser to studier publiceret i det seneste nummer af det videnskabelige tidsskrift Science
Intet tyder på, at coronavirussen kan være sluppet ud fra et laboratorium, som nogle ellers har spekuleret i.
»De to nye studier er stjernevigtige. Endelig er der stærk evidens for udbruddets start og spredning, så vi kan komme den forbistrede laboratorie-hypotese til livs,« siger den danske professor og virusforsker Thea Kølsen Fischer.
https://videnskab.dk/naturvidenskab/dansk-virusdetektiv-nu-kan-vi-komme-den-forbistrede-laboratorie-hypotese-til-livs

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon 01 Aug 2022, 15:05

The rise and fall of the lab leak hypothesis for the origin of SARS-CoV-2

Two new studies were published last week that strongly support a natural zoonotic origin for COVID-19 centered at the wet market in Wuhan, China. Naturally, lab leak proponents soberly considered this new evidence and thought about changing their minds. Just kidding! They doubled down on the conspiracy mongering, because of course they did.

Every since the coronavirus now known as SARS-CoV-2 was first identified as the cause of an outbreak of a mysterious severe viral pneumonia in Wuhan, China two and a half years ago, a disease that later spread to the rest of the world as the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been intense curiosity about the origins of the virus. The most plausible hypothesis was that, like many diseases before, SARS-CoV-2 had a zoonotic origin; i.e., it developed the ability to “jump” from an animal reservoir to humans. Far less plausible, albeit not impossible, was the hypothesis that the novel coronavirus was created in a laboratory and then escaped, either through incompetence or malfeasance, a hypothesis that became more colloquially known as the “lab leak” hypothesis. Last week, two papers were finally published that, under normal circumstances, would be, if not the final nails in the coffin of the lab leak hypothesis, getting very close, were published in Science, one examining the molecular epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 and the other demonstrating that the wet market in Wuhan was indeed an early epicenter of the pandemic. Steve Novella has already discussed the studies, but that’s never stopped me before, given that having a few days to look at the studies allowed me also to examine the reaction to the studies. Let’s just say that, contrary to the assertions of some optimists, these studies haven’t made much of an impact on conspiracy theorists, other than to provide them with targets to try to discredit.

Before I get to the studies, though, let’s look at some background on the lab leak hypothesis and conspiracy theories. I do this for two reasons. First, I want to show what these studies add to what we know about the origin of SARS-CoV-2. Second, it’s been a long time since I’ve written about this issue, and I think a recap is overdue.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-lab-leak-hypothesis-for-the-origin-of-sars-cov-2/
"If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed." - Marcus Aurelius

manifesto

Post by manifesto » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 06:57

Nemesis wrote:
Mon 01 Aug 2022, 15:05
The rise and fall of the lab leak hypothesis for the origin of SARS-CoV-2

Two new studies were published last week that strongly support a natural zoonotic origin for COVID-19 centered at the wet market in Wuhan, China. Naturally, lab leak proponents soberly considered this new evidence and thought about changing their minds. Just kidding! They doubled down on the conspiracy mongering, because of course they did.

Every since the coronavirus now known as SARS-CoV-2 was first identified as the cause of an outbreak of a mysterious severe viral pneumonia in Wuhan, China two and a half years ago, a disease that later spread to the rest of the world as the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been intense curiosity about the origins of the virus. The most plausible hypothesis was that, like many diseases before, SARS-CoV-2 had a zoonotic origin; i.e., it developed the ability to “jump” from an animal reservoir to humans. Far less plausible, albeit not impossible, was the hypothesis that the novel coronavirus was created in a laboratory and then escaped, either through incompetence or malfeasance, a hypothesis that became more colloquially known as the “lab leak” hypothesis. Last week, two papers were finally published that, under normal circumstances, would be, if not the final nails in the coffin of the lab leak hypothesis, getting very close, were published in Science, one examining the molecular epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 and the other demonstrating that the wet market in Wuhan was indeed an early epicenter of the pandemic. Steve Novella has already discussed the studies, but that’s never stopped me before, given that having a few days to look at the studies allowed me also to examine the reaction to the studies. Let’s just say that, contrary to the assertions of some optimists, these studies haven’t made much of an impact on conspiracy theorists, other than to provide them with targets to try to discredit.

Before I get to the studies, though, let’s look at some background on the lab leak hypothesis and conspiracy theories. I do this for two reasons. First, I want to show what these studies add to what we know about the origin of SARS-CoV-2. Second, it’s been a long time since I’ve written about this issue, and I think a recap is overdue.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-lab-leak-hypothesis-for-the-origin-of-sars-cov-2/
Innan vi fortsätter, har du kollat upp möjlig "conflict of interest" här?

Det är ju annars det första man gör innan man postar något på nätet.
War is peace.

dann

Post by dann » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 08:51

Why don't you just tell us what your problem is?
Information about David Gorski is easy to find! Go to the bottom of the article:
David Gorski
Dr. Gorski's full information can be found here, along with information for patients. David H. Gorski, MD, PhD, FACS is a surgical oncologist at the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute specializing in breast cancer surgery, where he also serves as the American College of Surgeons Committee on Cancer Liaison Physician as well as an Associate Professor of Surgery and member of the faculty of the Graduate Program in Cancer Biology at Wayne State University. If you are a potential patient and found this page through a Google search, please check out Dr. Gorski's biographical information, disclaimers regarding his writings, and notice to patients here.
Here: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/editorial-staff/david-h-gorski-md-phd-managing-editor/

manifesto

Post by manifesto » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 18:02

dann wrote:
Fri 05 Aug 2022, 08:51
Information about David Gorski is easy to find! Go to the bottom of the article:
David Gorski
Dr. Gorski's full information can be found here, along with information for patients. David H. Gorski, MD, PhD, FACS is a surgical oncologist at the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute specializing in breast cancer surgery, where he also serves as the American College of Surgeons Committee on Cancer Liaison Physician as well as an Associate Professor of Surgery and member of the faculty of the Graduate Program in Cancer Biology at Wayne State University. If you are a potential patient and found this page through a Google search, please check out Dr. Gorski's biographical information, disclaimers regarding his writings, and notice to patients here.
Here: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/editorial-staff/david-h-gorski-md-phd-managing-editor/
Är det Gorski som har författat de två studierna?
War is peace.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 19:24

manifesto wrote:
Fri 05 Aug 2022, 18:02
dann wrote:
David Gorski
Nej.
"If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed." - Marcus Aurelius

dann

Post by dann » Sat 06 Aug 2022, 05:47

manifesto wrote:
No. It is obvious that David Gorski the author of the article that upset you. He is not the author of the two studies:
dann wrote:

manifesto

Post by manifesto » Wed 10 Aug 2022, 06:23

Nemesis wrote:
Fri 05 Aug 2022, 19:24
manifesto wrote:
dann wrote:

Nej.
Jo, jag förstod det direkt, men det gjorde helt uppenbart inte signaturen, "dann".

Igen, har du kollat upp om författarna till de två studierna har någon intressekonflikt? Det är ju annars det första man brukar bocka av innan man rekommenderar sådana som vetenskapligt underlag?
Last edited by manifesto on Wed 10 Aug 2022, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
War is peace.

manifesto

Post by manifesto » Wed 10 Aug 2022, 06:26

dann wrote:
Sat 06 Aug 2022, 05:47
manifesto wrote:
No. It is obvious that David Gorski the author of the article that upset you. He is not the author of the two studies:
dann wrote:
1. Jag frågade signaturen Nemesis om denne har kollat upp om författarna till de två studierna har någon intressekonflikt.

2. Du hoppar då in och hävdar att Gorski inte har någon intressekonflikt, trots att Gorski inte är medförfattare till någon av studierna.

Varför gör du det?
War is peace.

dann

Post by dann » Wed 10 Aug 2022, 07:00

1. Nemesis referred to an article by Gorski: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-lab-leak-hypothesis-for-the-origin-of-sars-cov-2/

2. You then wrote:
manifesto wrote:
Fri 05 Aug 2022, 06:57
You did so without making it clear that you didn't refer to the article but to the two studies mentioned in the article.

3. I then told you where to find information about the author of the article and asked you to tell us what your problem is:
dann wrote:
Information about David Gorski is easy to find! Go to the bottom of the article: Here: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/editorial-staff/david-h-gorski-md-phd-managing-editor//quote]
4. You then pretended that it was clear from the start that you weren't talking about the author of the article, and I asked you again, by quoting myself, to tell us what your problem is:
dann wrote:
manifesto wrote:
No. It is obvious that David Gorski [is] the author of the article that upset you. He is not the author of the two studies:
dann wrote:
So why don't you just tell us what your problem is? What makes it so difficult for you to do so?

manifesto

Post by manifesto » Fri 12 Aug 2022, 13:03

dann wrote:
Wed 10 Aug 2022, 07:00
1. Nemesis referred to an article by Gorski: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-lab-leak-hypothesis-for-the-origin-of-sars-cov-2/

2. You then wrote:
manifesto wrote:
Fri 05 Aug 2022, 06:57
You did so without making it clear that you didn't refer to the article but to the two studies mentioned in the article.
Artikeln handlar om två vetenskapliga studier = det är självklart de två vetenskapliga studierna som är det primära.

3. I then told you where to find information about the author of the article and asked you to tell us what your problem is:
dann wrote:
Information about David Gorski is easy to find! Go to the bottom of the article: Here: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/editorial-staff/david-h-gorski-md-phd-managing-editor//
Igen, det är självklart de två vetenskapliga studierna som är intressanta, inte vad någon skriver om dem.

Igen, mitt "problem" är huruvida Nemesis har kollat upp om författarna till de två vetenskapliga studierna har några intressekonflikter.

Nemesis har fortfarande inte besvarat den frågan = mitt "problem" kvarstår således.

4. You then pretended that it was clear from the start that you weren't talking about the author of the article, and I asked you again, by quoting myself, to tell us what your problem is:
dann wrote:
manifesto wrote:
No. It is obvious that David Gorski [is] the author of the article that upset you. He is not the author of the two studies:
dann wrote:
So why don't you just tell us what your problem is? What makes it so difficult for you to do so?
Igen. I ett forum för vetenskap och folkbildning så är det självklart så är det de två vetenskapliga studierna som är det intressanta. Inte vad någon skriver om dem i en journalistisk artikel eller vilken färg på slipsen journalisten har.

Igen. Mitt "problem" är fortfarande om huruvida signaturen Nemesis har kontrollerat om författarna till de två föregivet vetenskapliga studierna har några intressekonflikter.

Givet att forskningsfältet, i synnerhet i USA, är fullständigt genomsyrat av just intressekonflikter så torde det, om inget annat, stipulera att det är det första man bör göra innan man går vidare och postar de föregivet vetenskapliga studierna i en tråd i ett forum för vetenskap och folkbildning.

Här har du en annan uppfattning? Skit samma om forskarna som har författat de två föregivet vetenskapliga studierna har några intressekonflikter, eller inte?
War is peace.

dann

Post by dann » Fri 12 Aug 2022, 19:37

Why won't you tell us what your problem is with the two "vetenskapliga" studies if that is what is important to you?
Instead of telling us what you think might be wrong with them, your whole problem seems to be with Nemesis, whether or not he has checked up on them.
What a weird attitude.

manifesto

Post by manifesto » Sun 14 Aug 2022, 13:24

dann wrote:
Fri 12 Aug 2022, 19:37
Why won't you tell us what your problem is with the two "vetenskapliga" studies if that is what is important to you?
Instead of telling us what you think might be wrong with them, your whole problem seems to be with Nemesis, whether or not he has checked up on them.
What a weird attitude.
Again. Before I do any work trying to read up on the critique of the papers I would like to know if Nemesis have done 'step One' = looked in to any possible conflict of interest with any of the authors.

I'm still waiting for an answer.

You certainly have a "problem" with this.

Why? Am I not allowed to ask this, or what?
War is peace.

Cytokrom C

Post by Cytokrom C » Mon 15 Aug 2022, 07:36

Manifesto: Jag håller inte med om att ev intressekonflikter är det primära här. Det går alltid att tolka in någon intressekonflikt om man vill. Forskare som arbetar inom ett fält har så klart kontakter inom samma fält och med god fantasi kan man alltid hitta någon ”misstänkt” koppling till någon annan forskare med förmodat intresse av en specifik slutsats. (Finns inga ”misstänkta” kopplingar bör man kanske istället fråga sig om personen verkligen är expert…) Det är förstås en bekväm lösning om man vill avfärda resultat som inte passar in i ens förutbestämda slutsats. I vilket fall är det väl du själv som får lägga fram om du har invändningar i relation till intressekonflikter?

Mer intressant att värdera resultat/slutsatser av studierna i förhållande till labläckehypotesen. Jag tycker nog ändå kombinationen av att det verkar ha varit två ”spill-over” event och den geografiska centreringen kring marknaden verkar vara goda indicier för att marknaden är ursprunget. För ett event är det lätt att bortförklara som slump (t.ex. en forskare besökte marknaden…) men vad är sannolikheten att marknaden skulle vara centrum för båda eventen om det var en labläcka? I lokalisations-peket tycker jag dock att man även kunde räknat på hypotesen labbläcka (även om det visuellt är tydligt att marknaden är en mycket bättre approximation av centrumpunkt än labbet, som ju ligger en bra bit bort på andra sidan floden…)

manifesto

Post by manifesto » Mon 15 Aug 2022, 09:19

Cytokrom C wrote:
Mon 15 Aug 2022, 07:36
Manifesto: Jag håller inte med om att ev intressekonflikter är det primära här. Det går alltid att tolka in någon intressekonflikt om man vill. Forskare som arbetar inom ett fält har så klart kontakter inom samma fält och med god fantasi kan man alltid hitta någon ”misstänkt” koppling till någon annan forskare med förmodat intresse av en specifik slutsats. (Finns inga ”misstänkta” kopplingar bör man kanske istället fråga sig om personen verkligen är expert…) Det är förstås en bekväm lösning om man vill avfärda resultat som inte passar in i ens förutbestämda slutsats. I vilket fall är det väl du själv som får lägga fram om du har invändningar i relation till intressekonflikter?
Så det här med eventuella intressekonflikter kan vi skippa helt, menar du? Självklart så finns det gränsfall och självklart så ska varje fall bedömas utifrån sina egna meriter, men det innebär ingalunda att klockrena sådana ska få passera utan att det i så fall påverkar trovärdigheten i respektive studie.

Låt säga att tobaksindustrin i hemlighet via ombud finansierar en studie av röknings eventuella hälsovådlighet? Menar du att det inte utgör en intressekonflikt, eller menar du att den intressekonflikten inte är relevant eftersom att i princip allt med lite kreativ fantasi kan tolkas som en intressekonflikt?

Mer intressant att värdera resultat/slutsatser av studierna i förhållande till labläckehypotesen.
Mer än så. Det är egentligen det enda intressanta, men här utgör som sagt eventuella intressekonflikter definitivt nödvändig information vid varje bedömning av studiernas slutsatser.

Jag tycker nog ändå kombinationen av att det verkar ha varit två ”spill-over” event och den geografiska centreringen kring marknaden verkar vara goda indicier för att marknaden är ursprunget. För ett event är det lätt att bortförklara som slump (t.ex. en forskare besökte marknaden…) men vad är sannolikheten att marknaden skulle vara centrum för båda eventen om det var en labläcka? I lokalisations-peket tycker jag dock att man även kunde räknat på hypotesen labbläcka (även om det visuellt är tydligt att marknaden är en mycket bättre approximation av centrumpunkt än labbet, som ju ligger en bra bit bort på andra sidan floden…)
Som sagt, jag diskuterar mer än gärna studiernas slutsatser, men först vill jag veta om Nemesis' eller någon annan i tråden som vill propagera för riktigheterna i dessa, har kollat upp eventuella intressekonflikter.

Här kanske du vill hoppa in?
War is peace.